Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hacks Like Me

Let's face it.

Few of us have an M.A. in music ed or an expansive penthouse studio that caters to future Carnegie Hall divas.

We banged away at the piano for a few years and somehow learned to read notes--as long as they stayed out of the ledger lines. We went onto jobs at Navy warehouses, print shops, or accounting offices. Maybe we still sat down to play every once in a while.

One day, we got nostalgic and walked into a music store. We tried out some of the instruments--bashful at how rusty our playing had become. We realized we kind of missed it.

Then someone asked if you knew a piano teacher.

You said, "Uh, not really."

One thing led to another, and next thing you knew you were showing junior middle C. You were embarrassed to charge them.

Now you're on first-name basis with the local music store sales guys, you have several students, and you have no compunction asking them to pay you a month's lessons up front. And you still hold down a day job that has little to do with music.

If this is you (more or less), then you're at the right place. This is a forum for sharing our real-life experiences and tips. If you're an Eastman grad, you're welcome, too. Just don't get cocky, 'cause we're a rough, working-class crowd.

I'll be posting regular blogs based on real-life teaching situations. I'll tell you what I did. You can either tell me what an incredibly wise music educator I am and how you wish you were me, or what a dunce I am and how I should have done it.

I'm really excited about this blog. See you around!

2 comments:

  1. I'd say you're the incredibly wise choice!

    As I put it once in a former blog, "If you're aiming to win at Warsaw, this isn't the place for you." But why pick on just Eastman? Go for broke: Julliard, Curtis, NEC, Indiana :).

    Seriously though. There's a lot of us in the trenches -- even my teacher/collaborator who's ex NEC. Some of us don't even have a local music store and couldn't exist w/o Hutchins and Rea.

    It's good to see we've got a voice. Especially once which belongs to a good writer; that's rare in the cacophony of the blogosphere.

    I'll be watching and reading and commenting

    chopin-slut (your friend from Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment! Ill trie too maintayn a hi standerd of riting.

    Eastman: 'Twas a jibe at my dear sister, who attended their prep school.

    Have three students this afternoon. Look for comments within a few days...

    -dv

    ReplyDelete